Thursday, January 07, 2010

Blerg!

Well kids, I am about 97.8% positive that not a single soul reads this anymore. And although that was never the point, it does really bring a couple things to my attention. 1) I think I've had a falling out with the person who was my most faithful reader (albeit a terrifically silent one) and 2) I'm am tempted to be 10x as offensive when I think no one is listening (reading-- whatever.) So, since the exceptions would be possibly Disch because I read and comment on her blog, the same with the Jacksons, and there was that time that Adam totally shocked me by telling me he read my other blog, to you I say, "Hello, I'm really quite fond of all of you-- and if you don't want to ingest any cynicism today, I will be very understanding if you stop reading now. It's ok."

But there are some things that have been on my mind.

I have been listening to the local Christian-talk radio station. Why? Partly because I keep forgetting to put my ipod back into my purse and thus cannot listen to it in the car, partly because I just found out that this station exists (92.5), partly because I get some sick pleasure out of disagreeing with people, and partly because I am genuinely concerned with knowing a) the general state of thought for the visible church, b) how others see us, and c) if there is anyone out there with something good to say. This is a great exercise in my ability to find flaws in the biblical interpretation of others-- which is probably a skill not worth developing-- and an excuse for me to give my diagnosis on the problems of the contemporary american church-- a practice destined (pre-destined if you will) to end in pride. But with those things said, I think I have had some good thoughts and I wanted to write them down. And since there is definitely a max of 4 people reading this, I say, "What the heck. Let's do it."

Sidenote: my tendency to create lists is exaggerated as the night continues and I have not been outside all day due to inclement weather. This promises to be a bit of a bumpy ride. For that, I apologize.

I think at some point, possibly in a Relevant email, I read an article telling the church that we needed to stop our habit of creating a Christian ghetto. And here I am signing my allegiance under this pledge wherever it is spoken. Here's the deal, Christians: we don't need more places where just Christians hang out-- that is what church is for. That is what bible studies are for. That is what Oklahoma Baptist University is for. We are creating our own sub-culture that has less and less to do with the world around us and we are becoming less and less recognizable as people. I hear you already, but Veronica, we are to be strangers and aliens in this world! And yes, that is solid biblical advice. But, no one wants to be like you when you are crazy and your kids can't watch normal movies. This is what I'm really trying to say.

We don't need Christian work out places. Go work out at a normal work out place. We don't need Christian punk-rock venues. Open up a regular punk rock venue. We don't need Christian coffee shops. Buy fair trade coffee at a regular coffee shop. Because if we send our kids to Christian schools and shop at Christian t-shirt stores and catalogs and only support Christian grocery stores then when do you ever expect us to interact with the rest of the world who we are supposed to be impacting? We are supposed to be salt and light! But instead we are removing ourselves from the world that we claim to mourn for insisting that they will probably drag us down.

Here's the deal, people. Jesus hung out with all the people that the church people hated. And if we are going to pick to follow one person's life style, I vote that we pick Jesus-- who did after all say, "Follow me." And if we are claiming to follow him, I believe that comes with the commandment to walk as he walked. Jesus hung out with the sinners and tax collectors and didn't become like them. Being strangers and aliens in the world does not mean disappearing-- in fact, it implies that you must necessarily be IN the world. So instead of running from the world, engage it and become a person who can love on people in all parts of life instead of escaping to the easier realm of the Christian ghetto.

I hope that made some sense.

In another blog I might suggest that people rethink the immediate need for someone who is a protestant to automatically be a conservative. I would argue that there is more to the issue of the sanctity of life than just getting people born. I would argue that perhaps we ought to take a deep look at God's heart for justice. And maybe that we open our eyes to see that robbing an entire group of people of rights because, "They're wrong, God says so." is probably not the best way to love them.

But you know what, anyone who started reading this is definitely not anymore and this is far to long and ranty anyway. BUT, perhaps someday I will be respected enough as a scholar to actually make a difference in the way people think. Until then I will speak at d-nows, write this blog, and if I get the guts call in to one of these fabulous shows I've been listening to.

Enough for now.

In other news, this break I think I have become a full-fledged feminist. So you can add that to the list of things that majority-right-wing Christians will dislike about me. The list is growing larger every day. I'll probably just put it on my fridge. :)

Also, I should mention-- the blog title comes from 30 Rock, of which the snow and Christmas presents have demanded I watch gratuitous amounts. It's wonderful.

Good night blogging community. I hope you are staying warm. The next time I write something I promise it will be about how awesome something is.

love.

3 comments:

Adam Truax said...

Oh I still read this thing. Well done.

Judy Disch said...

Vern:
Sarah told me to read this. She is coming from an entirely different perspective since she has been in a barren wasteland of paganism for five months. Since I live in Tulsa, the Buckle on the Bible Belt, I understand from where you are coming. (I didn't want to end a sentence with a preposition even though it sounds awkward.) Anyway, my parents are VERY conservative (Fundamentalist Baptists: GARB) so did not have non-Christian friends unless they wanted to "be-friend" them to win them to Christ. I also attended a Christian college, Cedarville University, so understand the whole "come out from among them and be ye separate, saith the Lord" mentality. One of my teacher friends was complaining the other day that she didn't want to be in a leadership position anymore since the other teacher-leaders did not have the same values/lifestyle so she didn't "fit in". I encouraged her to remain in her position to be "salt and light". (I don't want all the leaders in my school to be the non-committed Christians.) I can understand my co-workers point: she feels uncomfortable, like a square peg. Which may be one reason why Christians are looking for more Christian venues: it's uncomfortable to live "in the world". We don't fit. We are the square pegs. So we want to find a place to fit. However, that's the dilemna: we're not suppose to fit! It's "uncomfortable" being a Christian in a non-Christian world and Americans are used to being comfortable. And we want to remain comfortable so we surround ourselves with other "comfort-seeking" Christians to reinforce that.
Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.
Love ya,
Judy Disch

Anonymous said...

i became a full-fledged feminist since setting foot onto campus two years ago. go figure!
let's get out of our bubble and be who we say we are.